Boredom in College
Although college students have some of the biggest social lives of anyone else on the planet due to living with their best friends, we still get bored and need things to keep us busy. If your household at home ran anything like mine always did, saying you’re bored to your mom most likely resulted in her giving you a list of chores or nagging you to do your homework so that you “won’t be bored,” like that actually helped. You can obviously study and do homework whenever you’re bored at school but does that really cure your boredom? No. Never has and never will. So here are some things that can actually cure boredom and keep you busy while in college:
12) Stalk your crush/ex’s dorm room- Nothing screams “I’m a psychopath” like constantly walking by your ex’s dorm room or seeking out your crush’s favorite study spot on campus just for fun and laughs. It’s all fun and games until you see them with someone else though.
11) Get drunk at 3pm for no given reason- Bored and need something to do? Pour a little Svedka and lemonade into a cup and bring it into the quad to find an excuse to get drunk. Someone’s playing their guitar outside? OUTDOOR CONCERT. That’s reason enough to drink and things will become a little more exciting.
10) Go to a coffee shop- There’s something about the aura that coffee shops give off that immediately pleases you and gives you good vibes. I could spend hours taking in the smell of coffee and pastries, not to mention the cute barista at the counter.
9) NETFLIX, DUH- Must I even explain??? Binge watching Grey’s Anatomy and The Fosters saved my boring college days.
8) Take walks around campus- Especially on cool fall nights, walks around campus or through the woods were my favorite pastimes. Getting out of your dorm room and into fresh air for a little while may be just the trick to getting back on track to the studying you should probably be doing instead.
7) Movie nights/afternoons/all day occasions- My favorite Sunday afternoon activities for when I was hungover and couldn’t move from my bed all day was all-day movie days with my best friends. We’d all squeeze into one or two twin beds and cuddle all day hoping to god our headaches would subside as we watched Bridesmaids about 4 times.
6) People watching in the quad- People watching is probably one of the most interesting things you can do to keep yourself busy. Put a blanket down in the quad and watch the creatures who walk by. You’ll find attractive people you didn’t even know existed and the awkward guy from your statistics class will walk by who talks to himself.
5) Run up and down your hallway in your socks screaming Taylor Swift lyrics- If you’re as good of friends with your entire floor or hallway, you’ve definitely done this. We kept ourselves occupied by sliding down the floor in slipper-socks and screaming the lyrics to Blank Space at least twice a day.
4) Eat, duh- No further explanation required.
3) 2am dance parties in big t-shirts and underwear- Blaring and screaming Blank Space lyrics is also required for this as well. What better way to stay entertained during quiet hours than singing too loud and dancing obnoxiously enough that the RA’s are called and the people downstairs death glare you for the next two weeks in the dining hall.
2) Slide creepy notes underneath people’s doors- My friends and I are probably the only psychos who actually do this for fun but if you’re ever bored write random love letters to people you don’t know, or do know, and anonymously slip them under their doors for a good laugh as you sprint away and fall up the stairs.
1) Explore your campus- My campus is super small but packed with surprises. And by surprises I mean the squirrels having sex in the tree outside of your window or the random dog you’ll see walking with its owner that you go crazy over since you see a dog about once a week in college rather than constantly like you would at home.