10. We’re going to have an attitude if we don’t get time to ourselves. Don’t take it personally, but as people who love alone time we’re going to need it and you need to understand and respect that. You don’t necessarily have to be okay with it, but we need you to at least accept it and not try to fight us on it or things won’t work out between us. We’re not going to completely shut you out and it most likely won’t last very long, but you need to realize that it’s something we can’t give up. It’s necessary for our health because sometimes we just need to recharge and we can’t do that if we never get to spend time with alone.
9. You have no reason to be paranoid about what we’re doing. Some people may think that when we want alone time it’s because we’re starting to fall out of love or become bored with the relationship, but that’s not it at all. We just need time to be with ourselves and recharge. We can’t expect you to love us if we don’t love ourselves, but we can’t do that if we aren’t allowed to just be alone every once in a while and do whatever we feel is necessary during that time. It’s okay to ask us if we’re all right, but if we say yes and that we just want some alone time please believe us and let it go.
8. We might not answer your text messages right away. When we’re alone we like to do things that make us happy and can easily distract us. It’s not that we don’t care about you or that we’re deliberately ignoring you, sometimes we just get caught up in what we’re doing and forget to check our phone. But as soon as we realize what we’ve done we’ll text back and apologize for getting lost in our own head.
7. We don’t like clingy. We understand that you just want to be a good S/O and check up on us and be with us, but sometimes it’s not cute it’s just clingy and annoying. When we want to be alone it means we want to be alone – we like to get caught up in our own thoughts and we like to feel slightly cut off from the world. We promise that we’ll get back to you later and let you know how we’re doing, but please just give us a little space.
6. Being around people all the time can leave us feeling exhausted. For us it’s not easy to be around a lot of people all of the time. We do like to be around people, but at the same time it can leave us feeling overwhelmed and exhausted if we aren’t able to have time to ourselves every once in a while. For some of us it can be a month or more before we feel the need to be alone, but for others it could be within a day. Either way we won’t always want to hang out with other people, even our S/O, so if we turn down an invitation to hang out, please don’t continuously pester us as to why.